What should I pack for my next cruise? I get asked this question all the time.
Let’s start from the carry on:
- Your documents! Always keep your passport and your boarding passes in your carry on.
- Your medications, if you use medications on a regular basis always carry them with you in your carry on as your checked bag is lost or delayed.
- Your electronics, computer, camera, tablet and all the chargers.
- A change of socks and underwear… again in case your checked bag is delayed or lost.
What to pack for the actual cruise:
- Check the dress code on the cruise line website and pack the required formal wear. If the cruise line has formal nights you should pack: evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women and tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men. All the other night should be smart casual: skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies pants and open-neck shirts for men. Formal shoes and regular shoes should always packed. If you are taking a long cruise with several formal nights you can wear the same outfit several times just change accessories (for men different ties or alternate tie and bowtie). If you do not want to bring formalwear check the dress code for the specialty restaurants or the buffet usually is casual all the time.
- During the day the dress code is casual, shorts and t-shirts or polos are usually perfectly fine.
- Some cruises have theme nights (ie: white party) be sure to pack for the event.
- Pack a swimsuit, even if you are cruising to a cold destination usually the ship has a covered pool or jacuzzi that you can use.
- If you are planning on doing excursions bring comfortable shoes. Always bring layers, even if you are travelling to a warm destination early in the morning or late at night it might be cold.
- If you are planning on using the gym bring work out clothes.
- If you are planing to cruise in Alaska or any other cold destination bring a warm jacket, better if it is water-repellent, even in the summer the weather can be unpredictable.
- Just about every cruise line offers laundry service, some cruise line offer laundromats those are really handy and allow to pack less clothes.
We like to pack as light as possible, and usually we just take a carry on and use the laundry service all the time.